Obe Ata is what you MUST create to even start attempting to make Jollof Rice. It is the only 'Ying' to this 'Yang' of a recipe! Trust me. Go ask Jamie Oliver. If you can't cook it, you are better off not trying it because Ghanaians and Nigerians will unite and come after you with a generational vengeance!
However, there is hope! When you want to begin making your Jollof Rice, Mama Sinmi's Red Sauce has come to the rescue. I have created just what you need to make your Jollof Rice and look like a pro! It's been carefully crafted with the same great base needed to make your Jollof Rice (minus your peppery🌶 preference). The truth about African cooking it that its a lot of work and most generations of Africans are still learning how to cook with the very vast array of recipes that come out of the continent of Africa alone, talkless of West Africa. Also, the thought of re-creating your mommy's Jollof or Egusi Soup can be very daunting for the busy millennial working mom. So I've cut your work in half (and you are so very welcome)!
1/2 medium onion Sliced
1 Jar Mama Sinmi’s Red Sauce
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Tablespoon of Ginger
½ cup Vegetable Oil
3 cups rice Basmati Rice
2 teaspoon Vegetable Seasoning (Optional)
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Red Pepper
1 Handful Fresh Thyme
2 cups vegetable broth
½ teaspoon Curry
- Sautee onions and oil over medium heat. Stir in ginger and garlic and cook for about 2 mins or until crisp and slightly charred.
- Pour the Mama Sinmi’s Red Sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in Vegetable broth into the saucepan and bring to boil.
- Add your spices.
- Stir in the basmati rice. Place some of the fresh thyme on top. Reduce the stove to low. Cover with a piece of foil so there is no room for the steam to escape. Place the lid back on.
- Simmer on low for 30 -40 mins. DO NOT OPEN THE LID. It will slow down the cooking process ad you'll be left with hard rice.
- After your timer goes off remove rice from the stove. The rice will be tender. All the sauce will be absorbed by the rice and you’ll know it’s ready. Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to subscribe.
Mama Sinmi's Red Sauce - www.mamasinmi.com
YouTube - https://youtu.be/tqk9Xgj6sE4
Instagram - @mamasinmis_redsauce
Facebook - @mamasinmis_redsauce
Twitter - @mamasinmi
Pinterest - Mama Sinmis